Hells Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELLS ANGELS SQUAD TALK

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WngOver's System is Down

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WngOver

WngOver

Male Number of posts : 11
Favorite Aircraft : LA5
Is Angry a Homo : Only on Titanic Tuesdays
Registration date : 2009-03-30

WngOver's System is Down Empty
PostSubject: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 pm

OK, be gentle....

Friday, March 27, my day of defeat.

1. Youngest daughter crashes HD, lost school project, ok, can reproduce from notes, Laptop RMAd... Out for 2weeks.

2. Crashed Raid0 in game box, 1 HD failed (not recognized by OS, thump thump thump from read head.... hopefully not yet thrashed)

3. Crashed NAS (LaCie mini disk w/Linux 500gb SATA), lost the "share" settings due to a "bug" in the NAS code from LaCie. HD is fine, but I can't read the files on my windows box to recover the data.....

So - Wife's photo albums are offline, and so am I until I recover some family treasure from the NAS or Raid0. Any recommendations on a quality recovery service/organization would be greatly appreciated.

I'll check back regulary for the "bashsing" I deserve and any recommendations...

Hopefully I'll be back in the air soon....

- Wngover

Last edited by WngOver on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Revised subject to reduce "stress" on forum)
Back to top Go down
CrAzYiVaN

CrAzYiVaN

Male Number of posts : 13
Favorite Aircraft : F-18
Is Angry a Homo : who?
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Do you have an account on the Aces High BBS? Maybe you could find something there.

scratch
Back to top Go down
WngOver

WngOver

PostSubject: WngOver is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Good news..........

I was able to recreate the "shares" on the NAS... 127gb of data still viable, last full backup of photo album was mid Jan, minimal lose of wife's data. I have now backed them up to 3 places...!

Wife says, I can stay in the house, but have to present her with DVD copies of the photo album before I can touch her ;-) smart lady.

Just incase you have not made your own backups lately here are some price quotes:

500gb SATA in XSF (Linux/Unix) format, full recovery $1600.
2x320gb SATA Raid0 in NTFS (Windows) format, full recovery $4000.

I can see the HDs and DVD burns spinning already !!!!

My system on the other hand still needs to be completely rebuilt.... I have guest in town this week, and the kids are out on spring break, so it will be awhile before I can get on-line and provide the proper target drone practice for MntMan and Saber.

Catch up to you all asap, get those backups going....

- Wngover
Back to top Go down
WngOver

WngOver

PostSubject: WngOver is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Thank you to everyone that provided technical and moral support. Much appreciated!

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Solar10

Solar10

Male Number of posts : 30
Is Angry a Homo : Is snow cold? Is water wet?
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 pm

i365 provide a good service.

Having worked for a disk drive company I run a macbook pro with a 750gb timemachine backup.

No matter how expensive backup hardware is you cannot pay enough to keep family photos and videos safe. Especially if your wife finds out its lost.
Back to top Go down
WngOver

WngOver

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm on-line again!

2xWD500gb in Raid1
+
2xSG32gb in Raid1
+
External SG500gb NAS
+
External WD500gb to back-up NAS

Think I can put this in my resume as a Storage Administrator?
Back to top Go down
CrAzYiVaN

CrAzYiVaN

Male Number of posts : 13
Favorite Aircraft : F-18
Is Angry a Homo : who?
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptySat May 02, 2009 3:15 am

Im gonna look into an external hardrive next go around.
Back to top Go down
WngOver

WngOver

PostSubject: Down Again - Corrupted Boot on Raid 1   WngOver's System is Down EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Well I'm down again.... cyclops Was trying to upgrade the Raid drivers and now I can't get past the windows log in window even in Safe Mode.... Embarassed

Still planning my recovery attempt, but that may take a couple of days. Fortunately 97% of all the stuff is backed up on the NAS!

Leason learned - Even in RAID 1 - Break the mirror prior to performing any major patching, performance tuning, or other upgrades.... silent

lol, I know this, but I was just to lazy to do it.... always next time or this won't go bad..... lol!

Well if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'll probably sleep on this for a few days before diving into a repair.

My current plan: study

1. Break the mirror and pull 1 root disk (b)
2. Rebuild the OS on root disk (a)
3. attach the pulled root disk (b) as a stand alone drive (external bay)
4. Copy any desired data from root disk (b) to root disk (a) into a temp folder
5. Get everything up and running on root disk (a)
6. Add root disk (b) back to mirror and re-sync
7. Spend many hours re-installing applications as needed.

8. Buy some good "imaging" software and make regular backups, that way I can just "restore" as need in the future.

I'm very confident that everything is still on the primary root disks (a) and (b). Most of my "other" stuff is on a seperate data RAID 1 installation, but I'm not looking forward to re-installing all the application, etc. as it is such a painfull process.

Hopefully I'll be back in the air soon.

Good hunting.

Wngover
Back to top Go down
WngOver

WngOver

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Back on-line, new build, WINDOWS7 Pro 64-bit, same Q6600 Quad and BFG 8800 GTX OC2 system.

FYI - Fresh install of WIN7 64 on a Raid1 config was a trick.

See you in the "friendly skys".

- Wng
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WngOver's System is Down   WngOver's System is Down Empty

Back to top Go down

WngOver's System is Down
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hells Angels :: Hells Angels Disaster Control :: General Discussion-
Jump to: